Does Arkansas have Jurisdiction for your divorce?

The Complainant must have been a bona fide resident of this state and the county for 60 days prior to the filing of the complaint, which must be stated in the complaint and proved at the final hearing (Drivers License, etc.). If the Complaintant lives out of state then the filing must be in the county of the Defendant who must have lived there for 60 days. The divorce will not be finalized until 90 days after the filing of the complaint for divorce.

If you have minor children living with your spouse in another state for over six months then you should consider filing in that state as that court has jurisdiction over the children. Your spouse can waive that jurisdiction in writing.


You should file the divorce in the county where you presently reside, or in the County where your spouse resides, if she lives in another County. You or your spouse must have an Arkansas address in the county where you are filing your divorce. Arkansas civilian residents living overseas may file in Arkansas if they have maintained their residency in Arkansas.