Does Colorado have Jurisdiction for your divorce?

At least one of the parties must have been a resident of the State of Colorado for a period of ninety (90) days immediately prior to the filing of the action for dissolution of marriage. The action may be filed in the county where the petitioner or co-petitioner resides.

If you have minor children living with your spouse in another state for over six months then you should consider filing in that state as that court has jurisdiction over the children. Your spouse can waive that jurisdiction in writing.


You should file the divorce in the county where you presently reside, or in the County where your spouse resides, if she lives in another County. You or your spouse must have a Colorado address in the county where you are filing your divorce. Colorado civilian residents living overseas may file in Colorado if they have maintained their residency in Colorado.