Does Hawaii have Jurisdiction for your divorce?

Either party or both must have been a bona fide resident of this state for six months prior to the filing of the complaint, which must be stated in the complaint and proved at the final hearing (Drivers License, etc.). The divorce should be filed in the judicial district the plaintiff resides or the judicial district the spouses last lived together as a married couple.

If you have minor children living with your spouse in another state for over six months then you should consider filing in that state as that court has jurisdiction over the children. Your spouse can waive that jurisdiction in writing.


You should file the divorce in the county where you presently reside, or in the County where your spouse resides, if she lives in another County. You or your spouse must have a Hawaii address in the county where you are filing your divorce. Hawaii civilian residents living overseas may file in Hawaii if they have maintained their residency in Hawaii.