Does Nevada have Jurisdiction for your divorce?

At least one of the parties to the divorce action must have resided in Nevada for at least six weeks prior to the filing of the action, or the cause of the divorce must have arose in the county in Nevada where the parties actually lived at the time of the happening of the cause.

If you have minor children living with your spouse in another state for over six months then you should consider filing in that state as that court has jurisdiction over the children. Your spouse can waive that jurisdiction in writing.


You should file the divorce in the county where you presently reside, or in the County where your spouse resides, if she lives in another County. You or your spouse must have a Nevada address in the county where you are filing your divorce. Nevada civilian residents living overseas may file in Nevada if they have maintained their residency in Nevada.