Does New Hampshire have Jurisdiction for your divorce?

 To file a divorce in the State of New Hampshire, the courts require that:

(a) Both parties must reside in the State at the time the action is filed, or;

(b) The plaintiff resides in the State and the defendant was personally served within the State, or;

(c) The plaintiff resided in the State for one year immediately prior to the filing of the action.

If you have minor children living with your spouse in another state for over six months then you should consider filing in that state as that court has jurisdiction over the children. Your spouse can waive that jurisdiction in writing.


You should file the divorce in the county where you presently reside, or in the County where your spouse resides, if she lives in another County. You or your spouse must have an New Hampshire address in the county where you are filing your divorce. New Hampshire civilian residents living overseas may file in New Hampshire if they have maintained their residency in New Hampshire.