Does Ohio have Jurisdiction for your divorce?

In actions for a divorce (one signs petition) or dissolution of marriage (both sign petition), the filing party or his/her spouse must have resided in the State of Ohio for at least six months immediately prior to the filing of the petition for dissolution.

If you have minor children living with your spouse in another state for over six months then you should consider filing in that state as that court has jurisdiction over the children. Your spouse can waive that jurisdiction in writing.


You should file the divorce in the county where you presently reside, or in the County where your spouse resides, if she lives in another County. You or your spouse must have an Ohio address in the county where you are filing your divorce. Ohio civilian residents living overseas may file in Ohio if they have maintained their residency in Ohio.