Does Pennsylvania have Jurisdiction for your divorce?

You or your spouse must have resided in Pennsylvania for at least six (6) months prior to filing your divorce papers with the Court. You must file your divorce papers in the Court of Common Pleas for the county in which either you or your spouse resides.

If you have minor children living with your spouse in another state for over six months then you should consider filing in that state as that court has jurisdiction over the children. Your spouse can waive that jurisdiction in writing.


You should file the divorce in the county where you presently reside, or in the County where your spouse resides, if she lives in another County. You or your spouse must have a Pennsylvania address in the county where you are filing your divorce. Pennsylvania civilian residents living overseas may file in Pennsylvania if they have maintained their residency in Pennsylvania.