Does Rhode Island have Jurisdiction for your divorce?

Rhode Island law requires that in an action for divorce, at least one of the parties to the action must have been a resident of Rhode Island for at least one year prior to filing for divorce. 

If you have minor children living with your spouse in another state for over six months then you should consider filing in that state as that court has jurisdiction over the children. Your spouse can waive that jurisdiction in writing.


You should file the divorce in the county where you presently reside, or in the County where your spouse resides, if she lives in another County. You or your spouse must have an Rhode Island address in the county where you are filing your divorce. Rhode Island civilian residents living overseas may file in Rhode Island if they have maintained their residency in Rhode Island.