Does Washington have Jurisdiction for your divorce?

If your spouse is not a resident of Washington, then you must have been a bona fide resident of this state prior to the filing of the complaint, which must be stated in the complaint and proved at the final hearing (Drivers License, etc.).  There is no period of time that you are required to reside in the State of Washington prior to filing, you just must be a resident who is currently living in this State. 

If you have minor children living with your spouse in another state for over six months then you should consider filing in that state as that court has jurisdiction over the children. Your spouse can waive that jurisdiction in writing.


You should file the divorce in the county where you presently reside, or in the County where your spouse resides, if she lives in another County. You or your spouse must have a Washington address in the county where you are filing your divorce. Washington civilian residents living overseas may file in Washington if they have maintained their residency in Washington.

If you and your spouse are both agreeable to getting a divorce, then you can file in Lincoln County, and there is no hearing.  The Judge will sign the divorce documents and the final divorce decree will be sent to you in the mail.